Sharing Audio or Video Content through Zoom
This guide is intended to demonstrate the optimal method to share audio and video content through a Zoom meeting.
Once a user is connected to a Zoom meeting they may be allowed to share their screen with other participants. If you are the host of the meeting you may share your screen at any time. Alternatively, if you are a participant you will have to receive permission to share your screen given to you by the host. Please refer to our Sharing Screen Content through Zoom documentation to fine tune your sharing settings.
The following steps demonstrate how to share audio and video through a Zoom meeting for best clarity and playback quality.
Share audio and video during a call:
- Open the video or audio file that you would like to share on your computer screen. This can be in a web browser window (streaming video), an audio playback application (Audacity, iTunes) or a video playback application (VLC, Kodi).
- At the bottom of the Zoom meeting window, select the “Share Screen” button. You can also use the keyboard shortcut, Alt+S (Command+Shift+S for Mac) to launch this window.
Figure 1: Share Screen Button in main Zoom meeting window.
- You will be presented with the “Basic” tab of the screen share window. Find and select your audio or video window. At the bottom of the window check both the “Share computer sound” and “Optimize Screen Sharing for Video Clip” options.
Figure 2: Basic Tab of Screen Share window with audio/video playback optimization options.
- Once you have selected the audio or video file that you wish to share and checked the media optimization options, click the “Share” button in the bottom right corner of the window. The main Zoom meeting window will disappear, and new minimal Zoom menu will be anchored to the top of your screen.
Figure 3: Share Button in Screen Share window.
Figure 4: Minimal Zoom menu at top of screen when content is being shared.
- Use the audio or video playback application as you normally would to Play, Pause, Stop the content.
- To stop the sharing of your audio or video file, click the red “Stop Share” button at the top of the screen you are currently sharing. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Alt+S (Command+Shift+S for Mac) to stop sharing content as well.
Figure 5: Stop Share button.