- Visit https://netid.rutgers.edu/ and choose the link for Service Activation in the left-hand navigation.
- Choose Remote Access VPN, Cisco AnyConnect Access for Rutgers. If you are not already signed up for two-step login with Duo, instructions will be provided to sign up as part of this process.
- Download the Cisco AnyConnect software at https://vpn.rutgers.edu.
Establish a VPN connection and follow the below steps.
Enabling remote desktop on your office linux computer
- Open putty
- For Hostname enter the full hostname of your office computer
- Enter the same for Saved Sessions
- Click Save
- Click Open to start an ssh session to your office linux computer
- Run the following commands. Say no to View-only password
- vncserver :1
- If the computer is rebooted you only need to rerun the vncserver command.
Creating an ssh tunnel from remote machine to office linux machine
- Open putty
- Under Category go to Connection, SSH, Tunnels
- Enter 5901 for the Source Port
- Enter 127.0.0.1:5901 for the Destination
- Click Add
- Under Category go to Session
- Enter the Hostname or IP of your office machine
- Enter Hostname_Tunnel in Saved Sessions
- Click Save to save the tunnel configuration
- Click Open
- Log in as you normally would. Leave this session running as it the ssh tunnel for VNC.
Viewing the remote desktop of your office linux computer
- Install and start your vnc client software (tightvnc, vncviewer, etc)
- Enter the 127.0.0.1::5901 as the remote host and click connect
- Enter the password when prompted.
- Your desktop should now be visible.