Before users can connect to the Rutgers VPN with the Cisco AnyConnect app, do the following to Activate Remote Access:
- Activate the Remote Access Service for their NetID account
- Enroll in NetID+
A. Activate the service for your NetID.
- Go to https://netid.rutgers.edu and select Service Activation on the left of the site.
- Log in with netID and password
- You will see the following screen:
- Select the Remote Access VPN, Cisco AnyConnect Access for Rutgers Option.
- NOTE: You don’t have to activate the service again if you have [You already have this account.] listed next to the Remote Access option.
- Click the “Activate Services” button.
B. NetID+ Enrollment
- Go to https://netid.rutgers.edu and click on "Manage netID+ Twon Factor Authentication" on the left side of the site.
Installation & Configuration
Downloading & Installing Cisco AnyConnect Client
The screen shots that follow are what the user should see upon installing on Windows. Some images may be slightly different on each system and OS version.
- Download the AnyConnect installer from https://vpn.rutgers.edu Once you’ve authenticated an automatic installation should begin. If it fails you should see a “Download for Windows” button below Download & Install.
- If you chose to save the file, open the folder you saved the file to, typically Downloads or Desktop, and locate and the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client executable (i.e. anyconnect-win-VERSION.NUMBER-core-vpn-webdeploy-k9.exe)
- Double click the anyconnect-win-VERSION.NUMBER-core-vpn-webdeploy-k9.exe
- Click Next
- Select “I accept the terms ……..” and click Next
- Click Install
- If prompted enter your windows credentials, the installer requires elevated privileges to run.
- Click Finish once the installation is complete