This procedure explains how to create links within an article on web sites using Joomla! 3.x.
Internal links (links to pages on the same website as the current page)
- Select an article to edit following steps 1-3 of Editing Articles (Joomla! 3.x).
- Highlight the text that will be linked to a second article.
- Click the Insert/Edit link button on the editing toolbar:
- A Link popup window will appear.
- Under Links, click Content (see #1 below).
- Click the arrow to the left of the top-level category that contains the article you want to link to (see #2 below).
- If your article is in a subcategory, click the arrow to the left of the subcategory containing the article. (If the article is in a category several levels down, you may need to repeat this step until you find the article).
- Click once on the name of the article you want to link to.
- Click Insert to the bottom of the Link popup window (see #3 below).
- Click Save & Close to save the article:
External links (links to pages not on the same website as the current page)
The procedure is similar to the one demonstrated above.
- With external links, the target website page can be pasted directly into the URL field in the Link pop-up window. Make sure you include the http:// or https:// prefix of the URL. (See #1 below).
- Be sure to set the Target to "Open in new window" for links to external websites (See #2 below).
To create a link that appears as a button:
- Select the link.
- Click on the Styles dropdown menu (to the right of "Format" or "Paragraph" on the editor toolbar).
- Then select or type "button".
- Your link will look like a button (similar to the picture at the bottom).