These instructions explain how to upload a syllabus so that it appears as a link in the Undergraduate Course List ("RU Courses" module).
The following steps only need to be followed once; afterwards, you can upload syllabi as needed following the steps under "Procedure" below.
Create Joomla! Media Manager folder
- Go to Content > Media
- If you don't see a folder called "syllabi" create it as follows:
- Click Create New Folder
- For the new folder name, enter "syllabi"
- Click Create Folder
Configure RUCourses Plugin
- Go to Extensions > Plugins
- Find RUCourses Plugin and click on it
- For "Location of syllabus files" select "Joomla! - Media Manager"
- For "Select a folder" select "syllabi"
- Click Save & Close
Use the following naming convention to rename the syllabus file to one of these formats:
Replace the elements of the above format with the following:
- YYYY: the four digit year.
- semester: To indicate "semester", use corresponding number below:
- Spring: 1
- Summer: 7
- Fall: 9
- Winter: 0
- school-subject-course: standard course number
- section: [optional] If the section is not supplied, the syllabus will be treated as a default syllabus for the course and will be loaded for any sections which do not have their own syllabus uploaded.
- file_extension: The extension can be pdf, doc, docx, or txt. PDF is preferred as it will retain text and layout formatting.
A syllabus for 01:377:140 (Foundations of Exercise Science and Sport Studies) Section 06, Fall 2020, PDF format would be named as follows:
Be sure to upload the documents to the "syllabi" folder on the root level of images. If uploaded elsewhere, "RU Courses" will not be able to find them.
- Navigate to and upload files to the "syllabi" folder.
To find the "syllabi" folder, go to Components --> JCE Editor (or JCE Editor Pro) and click the "File Browser" icon that shows in the center of the page:
- Navigate so that you are in the "syllabi" folder. When you are, its name will appear highlighted in the left column (see #1 below).
- Click the cloud icon to upload files (see #2 above). More than one file may be uploaded at a time.
- If a file was not named properly, it can be renamed here. To do that, click the file then look for the edit icon in the right side of window (see #3 above).