These instructions explain how to upload a syllabus so that it appears as a link in the Undergraduate Course List ("RU Courses" module).
1) Rename the syllabus files.
Use the following naming convention:
YYYYsemester-school-subject-course.file_extension or YYYYsemester-school-subject-course-section.file_extension
- YYYY: the four digit year.
- semester: To indicate "semester", use corresponding number below:
- Spring: 1
- Summer: 7
- Fall: 9
- Winter: 0
- school-subject-course: standard course number
- section: [optional] If the section is not supplied, the syllabus will be treated as a default syllabus for the course and be loaded for any sections which do not have one uploaded.
- file_extension: The extension can be pdf, doc, docx, txt. PDF is preferred as it will retain text and layout formatting.
A syllabus for 01:377:140 (Foundations of Exercise Science and Sport Studies) Section 06, Fall 2018,PDF format:
2) Upload the files.
There are two places to store files in the Joomla site: "Media" (the images folder) and the "DocMan" component. For either of these, the links won't work if the files are not named properly so be sure to do that first.
Media (preferred and simpler)
Be sure to upload the documents to the "syllabi" folder on the root level of images. If uploaded elsewhere, "RU Courses" will not be able to find them.
- To create, or check for a "syllabi" folder, go to Components --> JCE Editor (or Pro) and click the "File Browser" icon that shows in the center of the page. If no "syllabi" folder exists at the root level (under "Home"), click the "New Folder" icon and create one named "syllabi".
Upload files to this folder. Do not create subfolders for syllabi.
- Navigate so that you are in the "syllabi" folder. When you are, its name will appear highlighted (left column).
- Click the cloud icon to upload files. More than one file may be uploaded at a time.
- If a file was not named properly, it can be renamed here. To do that, click the file then look for the edit icon in the right side of window.
More complex but has ways of organizing documents and dynamically displaying lists of files stored within it.
If you are using the DocMan component to store your syllabi, follow instructions below.
- Create the DocMan category.
If one does not already exist, create a DOCman category for the semester. This step isn't absolutely necessary, but it will help keep your files organized in DOCman.
- Go to Components > DOCman > Categories
- Click "New"
- For "Title" enter the semester (for example, Spring 2017)
- For parent, select "Syllabi"
- Click "Save & Close"
- Upload your syllabi files as follows:
- Go to Components > DOCman > Files
- Under "Folders" to the left, click "syllabi" under "Root folder"
- Click "Upload"
- Drag your renamed syllabi files to the "Drag files here." window - or click "Add Files" to upload them.
- Click "Start Upload"
- Once the documents have been uploaded, click "Create Documents"
- At the next screen, change "Category" to the appropriate semester.
- Click "Save & Close"