This module will display a single image from a Media folder. If there are multiple images in the folder, the module will display a different image each time the page is visited. This adds variety to the site without creating a complex slideshow.
The module works best when all the images in the folder are resized and cropped to the same size.
You can assign a link to all the images displayed in the module, so that when someone clicks on the image, they will be taken to a specific page on the website. The link will be the same for all images.
This module is not a substitute for an actual photo gallery or slide show.
Recommended uses are for study abroad pages, or for displaying different images of artwork on the home page of a website.
Upload Images to the Media Folder
- In the Joomla! Administrator Control Panel, select Media from the Content menu:
- Click Create New Folder (see #1 below).
- Enter a name for your folder (see #2 below). Do not use spaces, or any special characters other than a dash (-), in the name of the folder.
- Click Create Folder (see #3 below).
- Select your new folder from the list of folders (see #4 below).
- Upload images into the folder following the documentation: How to Add an Image to Media
Create Random Image Module
- In the Joomla! back-end (Control Panel), navigate to Extensions > Modules, then click the New Button to create a new module:
- For "Select a Module Type," select Random Image:
- Enter a title for your module in the "Title:" field.
- For "Image Folder," enter the name of the Media folder containing your images. This should start with "images/" followed by the name of your folder.
- If you would like the images to be linked to another page or website, enter the URL of that location in the "Link" field.
- For "Width (px)", enter the width of the images in pixels.
- For "Height (px)", enter the height of the images in pixels.
- For "Position" (found to the right), select the position where the module should appear on the website. See the article "Module Position" for more information.
- Unless the module should appear on every page of the site, assign the module to one or more menu items.
- Click "Save & Close" to the upper left to save your new module: