Sharing Screen Content through Zoom
This guide is intended to demonstrate the various ways you can share your computer screen’s content while on a Zoom meeting.
Once a user is connected to a Zoom meeting they may be allowed to share their screen with other participants. If you are the host of the meeting you may share your screen at any time. Alternatively, if you are a participant you will have to receive permission to share your screen given to you by the host. The following steps demonstrate how to share a screen in different ways based on need and how to allow participants to share their screens.
Share your screen during a call:
- At the bottom of the Zoom meeting window, select the “Share Screen” button. You can also use the keyboard shortcut, Alt+S (Command+Shift+S for Mac) to launch this window.
Figure 1: Share Screen Button in main Zoom meeting window.
- You will be presented with the “Basic” tab of the screen share window. Here you can select which screen you would like to share if you are using multiple monitors, a specific application that is currently open. You may also select to share your iPad/iPhone screen or start an interactive Whiteboard. These features are covered in more detail in other documentation that SAS-IT has created.
Figure 2: Basic Tab of Screen Share window.
- Once you have selected the screen or application that you wish to share, click the “Share” button in the bottom right corner of the window. The main Zoom meeting window will disappear and new minimal Zoom menu will be anchored to the top of your screen.
Figure 3: Share Button in Screen Share window.
Figure 4: Minimal Zoom menu at top of screen when content is being shared.
- To stop the sharing of your screen or application, click the red “Stop Share” button at the top of the screen you are currently sharing. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Alt+S (Command+Shift+S for Mac) to stop sharing content as well.
Figure 5: Stop Share button.
Allowing Participants to Share Their Screen
As the meeting host you may determine whether your meeting participant are allowed to share content from their screens. These steps will show how to manage these permissions.
- To determine whether participants can share their screen overall select the “Security” button in the Zoom meeting window. From this pop up menu you may select whether participants have the privilege to share their screen.
Figure 6: Security Menu in Zoom meeting window.
- To further manage the sharing permissions you may press the up arrow next to the “Screen Share” button at the bottom of the Zoom meeting window. From here you may quickly select how many people can share at any given time. It is suggested to only allow one meeting participant to share at a time for better ease of use.
Figure 7: Share Screen additional options menu in Zoom meeting window.
- Clicking on the “Advanced Sharing Options…” menu will offer a more fine tuned set of sharing permissions. Here, you can select who can share their screen, when they can share their screen and how many participants can share their screen at the same time.
Figure 8: Advanced Sharing Options... menu.