VPN (Virtual Private Network) Client Overview
Rutgers VPN utilizes the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Application to provide secure remote access functionality for end users running Microsoft Windows, macOS, or Linux. As of July 1, 2019, the Cisco client is the only officially supported method for VPN connection sat the University. Service activation is available at https://netid.rutgers.edu/.
If you have not previously installed the Cisco AnyConnect client, you can authenticate to the VPN through a web-browser which will allow you to download and install the appropriate AnyConnect client. Simply visit https://vpn.rutgers.edu and complete login.
Using the VPN
Once the installation is complete, the “Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client” will be located in your start menu, under the Cisco folder. It may also already be running in your system tray. The icon will look like this:
- Either launch AnyConnect from your start menu, or double click the icon in the system tray if available and you will be presented with the connection screen, which should look like this:
- Enter the address of the VPN: vpn.rutgers.edu
NOTE: You must be enrolled in Duo 2FA (NetID+) NetID+ 2-factor authentication information: https://netid.rutgers.edu/setupTwoFactorAuthentication.htm
- You will see fields for Username, Password, and Duo Action/Second Password (see below). The options are detailed in the dialogue box.
- The Username will be your NetID
- The password field for either will be your NetID Password
- For 2FA, you have 4 options to enter in the Second Password/Duo Action field:
Enter a 6 digit Duo Passcode. These are generated either by a Hard Token, showing the passcode in the Duo Mobile App, or from a previous “SMS” request. Simply type in the 6 numbers and hit OK.
Type the word “push”. This will send a push notification to the primary device you have enrolled with Duo through NetID+ with the option to Accept or Deny.
Type the word “phone”. You will receive a phone call to the primary device you have enrolled with Duo through NetID+ with touch tone options to Accept or Deny.
Type the word “sms”. You will receive a text message to the primary device you have enrolled with Duo through NetID+ containing passcodes you can use to logon.
- Once the credentials have been entered click OK
- You should now be connected to the VPN and the icon should reflect this by having a small lock on it like this:
NOTE: When you are finished with University business, always remember to end the VPN session!
Ending a VPN Session
- To end your session, locate the AnyConnect icon in the system tray on the bottom right of your display. Right clicking the icon gives the option to view details of your session (Open), to end your session (“Disconnect”) or to end your session and close the AnyConnect application (Quit).
- Choose “Disconnect” or “Quit” when you are ready to terminate the connection based on your preference. Alternate Click menu: