This procedure explains how to upload, publish, and unpublish documents using the DOCman document manager component on Joomla! 3.x web sites.
1. Uploading a File
- Click on the "Components" menu, and select "DocMan" > "Files"
- Click the "Upload" icon" to the upper left:
- An Upload files to Root popup window will appear.
- Make sure "Upload from: Computer" is selected in the upper left (see #1 below)
- You can either drag your file to the Drag files here area in the middle of the popup window (see #2 below), or click the Choose File button at the bottom of the popup window (see #3 below).
- If you clicked the Choose File button, locate your document in the File Upload window. When you find the file, click "Open."
- Click the Start Upload button in the lower right corner of the popup window:
- When the document has been uploaded, the Upload files to Root popup window will show Status for the filename as 100% (see #1 below).
- Close the Upload files to Root popup window by clicking the "X" in the upper right corner (see #2 below).
- The file will not yet be accessible from your web site; it must now be published as a document.
2. Publishing the File as a Document
- After uploading your file, you should see that its checkbox is selected on the Files page (see #1 below). You can now create a document by clicking the Create Documents button (see #2 below).
- You will be at the Batch Values/Documents page.
- For Category, select the appropriate category (see #1 below). You can create your own categories.
- Make sure Status is "Published" (see #2 below).
- In the "Title" field, type a name for your document (see #3 below).
- Save the file by clicking the Save icon in the upper left corner (see #4 below).
- After the document has been saved, the Save button will appear dimmer. You can then exit the Batch Values/Documents page by clicking the Save & Close icon in the upper left area (see #5 below).
- Your document can now be found on your web site if there is a menu item for DOCman. It will also appear in a site search. You can also create a link to a published DOCman document within an article using the Document button.
3. Unpublishing and Re-Publishing a Document
You can unpublish a document without deleting it from your web site.
- In the Administrator interface, select "Component > DocMan > Documents"
- Click the check box to the left of your document's name (see #1 below).
- Click the Unpublish button above the list of documents (see #2 below).
- The Status column should display Unpublished, indicating that your document will no longer be accessible from the web site.
- To publish it again, click the check box to the left of your document's name.
- Click the Publish button above the list of documents (see #3 below).
4. Uploading and Publishing from the Front-End
You can upload and publish files from the front-end if all of the following conditions exist:
- You belong to a group that has access to edit at least one Joomla! category
- You belong to a DOCman group with front-end access to Upload, Approve, Publish and Maintain
- DOCman is accessible from the front-end
- The DOCman default theme has the Upload Button set to Show
To upload and publish your documents from the front-end:
- Log into the front-end of your web site
- Browse to DOCman via the front-end
- Click the Add new document link above the list of documents and folders.
- In the Title field, type a name for your document (see #1 below).
- For Category, select the appropriate category (see #2 below).
- Under File Type, select "Local File" (see #3 below).
- Click Select to the right of the File path field (see #4 below).
- Drag your file to the Drag files here area of the popup window (see #1 below), or click the Choose File button at the bottom of the popup window (see #2 below) to select a file from your computer.
- Click the Start Upload button to the lower right of the page.
- Select your file from the list of files at the top of the popup window (see #3 below).
- Click the Insert button to the right of the file list (see #4 below).
- Click Save & Close to the upper right.