The procedure explains how to copy and paste text into an Article using the Joomla! Administrator interface (Joomla! 3.x). If you're copying text from a document or another website it may retain the styles applied to it. This could create formatting issues within the new article. These instructions show you how to copy and paste the content as plain text as well as clear any pre-existing formatting.
Paste as Plain Text
1. Log on to your site using the Administrator Login.
2. Go to Content > Articles:
3. If you'd like to insert content into a pre-exisiting article, click on its Title within Article. Otherwise, you can create a new article first.
4. To copy and paste text only, without any formatting, right click in the text box and click Paste as Plain Text:
5. Type "Ctrl+V" to paste the text into the Clipboard popup window (see #1 below) and then click Insert in the lower right corner (see #2 below):
6. Your text will be pasted into the article without any formatting.
7. To save your changes and continue editing the article, click the Save button to the upper left:
8. When you are done editing the article, click the Save & Close button to the upper left:
Clear Pre-existing Formatting
If you've already copied and pasted text into the editor that carried over undesired styles/formats, you can also erase the formating without affecting the text itself.
1. Select the text for which you would like to remove the formatting.
2. Click on the Remove Formatting ("Eraser") icon. This will clear any formatting the text currently has:
Safe way to copy and paste from Microsoft Word:
If you paste content directly from Microsoft Word, it can cause formatting issues ranging from barely noticeable, to your entire page not displaying at all! However, it is possible to copy safely from Microsoft Word. It will save you time versus pasting it into Notepad (or somewhere else) to strip all of that formatting away before placing it in Joomla!. To safely paste from Word you must:
- Copy the text from Word.
- Click somewhere inside the text box of your article to select a place where the Word text will be pasted.
- In the Article : Edit Article window, click the first Clipboard icon on the editing toolbar - see #1 below. (On older versions of the editor, there will be a single clipboard with a dropdown menu; select the first option, "Paste," from the dropdown menu).
- Type "Ctrl+V" to paste the text into the Clipboard popup window (see #1 below).
- The text will be pasted, but without Word formatting that can mess up your article.
- Click Insert in the lower right corner (see #2 below):
- To save your changes and continue editing the article, click the Save button to the upper left:
- When you are done editing the article, click the Save & Close button to the upper left: