This procedure explains how to create links from an article on web sites using Joomla! 3.x.
For internal links (links to pages on the same website as the current page)
- Select an article to edit following steps 1-3 of Editing Articles (Joomla! 3.x).
- Highlight the text that will be linked to a second article.
- Click the Insert/Edit link button on the editing toolbar:
- A Link popup window will appear.
- Under Links, click Content (see #1 below).
- Click the "+" to the left of the top-level category that contains the article you want to link to (see #2 below).
- If your article is in a subcategory, click the "+" to the left of the subcategory containing the article. (If the article is in a category several levels down, you may need to repeat this step until you find the article).
- Click once on the name of the article you want to link to.
- Click Insert to the bottom of the Link popup window (see #3 below).
- Click Save & Close to save the article:
For external links (links to pages not on the same website as the current page)
The procedure is similar to the one demonstrated above. With external links, the target website page can be pasted directly to the URL section in the Link pop-up window. Be sure to set the target to "Open in new window" for external links.
To create a link that appears as a button:
- Select the link
- Click on Styles (next to "Format" and below the scissor icon).
- Then select or search "button".
- The end result should be a button (like the picture shown above).