Creating a New Menu Item (Joomla! 3.x)
To create a menu item that displays a single article:
- Log on to your site using the Administrator Login.
- Go to Menus > Main Menu (or whichever menu you'd like to create the menu item in) and click Add New Menu Item:
- Enter a Menu Title (see #1 below). You may leave the box for Alias blank; one will automatically be generated.
- (Optional) If you want your new menu item to display as a dropdown selection, go to the Parent Item drop down menu and select the pre-existing menu item that you would like the new menu item to appear under (see #2 below). If you leave "Menu Item Root" selected for Parent Item, your new menu item will appear as a top-level item.
- Next to the box for Menu Item Type, click the Select button (see #3 below).
- A pop-up window will open. Choose the appropriate menu item type from the list. For a new article, click Articles (see #1 below), then select Single Article (see #2 below):
- Once this option is chosen, there will be a field titled "Select an Article." Click the Select button:
- A pop-up window will appear. This will display all of the website's articles. You can narrow down the results by either entering a term in the Filter text field (see #1 below), or choosing the appropriate category from the Select Category drop down menu (see #2 below). Click the article title once to select the article you want to link to (see #3 below):
- Once the correct article is selected, click Save & Close to the upper left:
To create a new menu item displaying multiple articles within a category:
- Follow steps #1 - 5 above.
- A new dialog window will open. Click Articles (see #1 below), then select Category Blog or Category List (see #2 below):
- Once this option is chosen, under Menu Item Type there will be a field titled Choose a category. Select the appropriate category from the drop down list:
- Once the correct category is selected, click Save & Close to the upper left: