Creating Document Entries for Unlinked Files in DOCman (Joomla! 3.x)
This procedure explains how to create document entries for unlinked files in the DOCman document manager component for Joomla! 3.x.
You may wind up with an unlinked file in DOCman if you upload one or more files without publishing them as documents, or if you delete a document without deleting the corresponding file. Visitors cannot view unlinked files when browsing the DOCman directory from the front end, nor can you link to unlinked files using the DOCman button (see: Linking to DocMan Documents).
To create document entries for unlinked files:
- Log on to the Joomla! Administrator URL for your site.
- Click on Components > DocMan > Files:
- An unlinked document will have a "0" listed in the #documents column (see #1 below).
- To publish an unlinked file as a document, first click the checkbox to the left of its name (see #2 below).
- Click the Create Documents button at the top (see #3 below).
- You will be at the Batch Values/Documents page.
- For Category, select the appropriate category (see #1 below). You can create your own categories.
- Make sure Status is "Published" (see #2 below).
- In the "Title" field, type a name for your document (see #3 below).
- Save the file by clicking the Save icon in the upper left corner (see #4 below).
- After the document has been saved, the Save button will appear dimmer. You can then exit the Batch Values/Documents page by clicking the Save & Close icon in the upper left area (see #5 below).
- Your document can now be found on your web site if there is a menu item for DOCman. It will also appear in a site search. You can also create a link to a published DOCman document within an article using the Document button.