Upload and Publish Documents using DOCman (Joomla! 3.x)
This procedure explains how to upload, publish, and unpublish documents using the DOCman document manager component on Joomla! 3.x web sites.
1. Uploading a File
- Click on the "Components" menu, and select "DocMan" > "Files"
- Click the "Upload" icon" to the upper left:
- An Upload files to Root popup window will appear.
- Make sure "Upload from: Computer" is selected in the upper left (see #1 below)
- You can either drag your file to the Drag files here area in the middle of the popup window (see #2 below), or click the Choose File button at the bottom of the popup window (see #3 below).
- If you clicked the Choose File button, locate your document in the File Upload window. When you find the file, click "Open."
- Click the Start Upload button in the lower right corner of the popup window:
- When the document has been uploaded, the Upload files to Root popup window will show Status for the filename as 100% (see #1 below).
- Close the Upload files to Root popup window by clicking the "X" in the upper right corner (see #2 below).
- The file will not yet be accessible from your web site; it must now be published as a document.
2. Publishing the File as a Document
- After uploading your file, you should see that its checkbox is selected on the Files page (see #1 below). You can now create a document by clicking the Create Documents button (see #2 below).
- You will be at the Batch Values/Documents page.
- For Category, select the appropriate category (see #1 below). You can create your own categories.
- Make sure Status is "Published" (see #2 below).
- In the "Title" field, type a name for your document (see #3 below).
- Save the file by clicking the Save icon in the upper left corner (see #4 below).
- After the document has been saved, the Save button will appear dimmer. You can then exit the Batch Values/Documents page by clicking the Save & Close icon in the upper left area (see #5 below).
- Your document can now be found on your web site if there is a menu item for DOCman. It will also appear in a site search. You can also create a link to a published DOCman document within an article using the Document button.
3. Unpublishing and Re-Publishing a Document
You can unpublish a document without deleting it from your web site.
- In the Administrator interface, select "Component > DocMan > Documents"
- Click the check box to the left of your document's name (see #1 below).
- Click the Unpublish button above the list of documents (see #2 below).
- The Status column should display Unpublished, indicating that your document will no longer be accessible from the web site.
- To publish it again, click the check box to the left of your document's name.
- Click the Publish button above the list of documents (see #3 below).
4. Uploading and Publishing from the Front-End
You can upload and publish files from the front-end if all of the following conditions exist:
- You belong to a group that has access to edit at least one Joomla! category
- You belong to a DOCman group with front-end access to Upload, Approve, Publish and Maintain
- DOCman is accessible from the front-end
- The DOCman default theme has the Upload Button set to Show
To upload and publish your documents from the front-end:
- Log into the front-end of your web site
- Browse to DOCman via the front-end
- Click the Add new document link above the list of documents and folders.
- In the Title field, type a name for your document (see #1 below).
- For Category, select the appropriate category (see #2 below).
- Under File Type, select "Local File" (see #3 below).
- Click Select to the right of the File path field (see #4 below).
- Drag your file to the Drag files here area of the popup window (see #1 below), or click the Choose File button at the bottom of the popup window (see #2 below) to select a file from your computer.
- Click the Start Upload button to the lower right of the page.
- Select your file from the list of files at the top of the popup window (see #3 below).
- Click the Insert button to the right of the file list (see #4 below).
- Click Save & Close to the upper right.