Linking to DocMan Documents (Joomla! 1.0.x)
This procedure relates to web sites using the SAS Content Management System (CMS; Joomla! 1.0.x) with the DocMan document manager component for Joomla! installed.
Often, you will want to create a link to a document somewhere else on your site, so visitors can find it. For example, you might have a content item for a course, and you want to create a link to the Syllabus for the Course. The important thing to remember is that every published document has a URL, and you can create a link to the DocMan document just as you would link to any other URL.
Linking to Documents:
- Open up a browser and go to your web site's front page.
- Find the link to DocMan on the web site's front-end. The default location for SAS CMS sites is on the Main Menu under "Departmental Services > Downloads". If you cannot find the Docman or Downloads link on the web site's front-end, please submit a work order for assistance.
- Find the listing for the document that you want to link to - but do not click on it.
- Position the mouse cursor over the name of your document.
- Drag the document to your desktop - this will create a shortcut to your document's URL on the desktop.
- Edit the content item where you want to create the link to the DocMan document (see: Editing Content Items)
- Type some text that will be hyperlinked to the DocMan document.
- Highlight the text to be hyperlinked to the DocMan document.
- Click the "Insert/Edit Link" icon on the toolbar:
- Right-click the shortcut to your document's URL on the desktop and select Properties.
- Select the entire URL: from the desktop shortcut "Properties," right-click on it, and select "Copy."
- Right-click in the "Link URL" field of the "Insert/Edit Link" window, and select "Paste".
- Click "Insert."
- Click the Save icon in the upper right corner: